Blacksmiths is a quiet beach-side suburb of Lake Macquarie and is surrounded by the Pacific Ocean on one side and the mouth to the beautiful Lake Macquarie on another.
Situated north of Swansea (Just near the Swansea opening bridge), it is only half an hour from Newcastle, or an hour and a half from Sydney.
The area was originally called Kahibah and developed as a depot for the first Swansea Bridge (built in 1877). The area later became known as "the Depot" but only informally. It is rumoured that the area became known as Blacksmiths due to the Blacksmiths shop that was located on the channel (approximately where the Pacific Highway turns towards the bridge). People referred to the "Blacksmiths" when giving directions and the name stuck.
Blacksmiths Beach is easy to find and is found just off the Pacific Highway. The main entrance is located at the southern end of Nine Mile Beach (a 16km beach that stretches from Redhead to Blacksmiths). The beach is home of the Swansea-Belmont Surf Club which patrols the main beach in the warmer months of the year. There is a Kiosk at the beach and full amenities as well as BBQ facilities.
Blacksmiths also hosts excellent all weather boat launching facilities on Swansea Channel which provide access to either the open sea or the vast expanse of the beautiful Lake Macquarie. Many fishing spots and picnic areas can be located around the foreshores of Lake Macquarie.